Thursday, September 25, 2008

Crazy


Crazy me.
Since, my creative juices are having a hard time to surface. I decided to embarck on a mission of , organizing a number of concerts, in which my band, will not perform any of my music at all and will detour from the Latin flavor that has been characteristic of my sound lately. And, I'm not really a Latin player after all….always drawn to more subtle and lyrically touchy works...
So what is this crazy Idea?.........ZUMBATRES performs the music of Pat Metheny!!!!...
Yes!!!!........one of my all time favorite musicians and composers. One of the biggest reasons why I do music and want to write my own, beside being Bruford, Metheny is a big big inspiration for me.
So this time, I'm aiming to do 2 dates, so far, with Mike(piano), Nate(bass), Chris(trumpet), Phil(guitar), Jake(voices) and me on drums and if I get drunk enough will sing too…

Rehearsal last night went great, and it felt awesome to play some of this tunes that I've listened so many times dreaming of performing them..
Exciting times!!!!... One of the key reasons, is that I believe that facing the challenge of playing Metheny's music I get exposed and over exposed to great music writing…..which is what I need, since I'm having a hard time seating down writing my own..

Nov 30th at the Barley Pub, will be the first date,
I'll get the Press Room to give me another date in January perhaps even do more..
If I could do a series of concert playing this music I'll have lots of fun.
But still need to remember, have to write my own…
So stay tuned for more updates…
For now, save Nov 30th, Sunday in Dover, at the Barley Pub.
More to come……
(there will more regular ZUMBATRES gigs, in the remaining of the year, Nov 10th at the Red Door, sharing the Bill with Jared Steer's Band)